The full newsletter can be viewed here.
There are only two words for me to use in this last newsletter of 2017.
They are, Thank you! However it will take me more than two words to say
a sincere thanks to so many of you.
Throughout the year we have been working on topics to firmly establish
Stewardship in the Archdiocese. This has involved a number of very well
attended Stewardship Days and wonderful participation by many. On these
days I have reminded all participants of these words:
• Gratitude – we receive the gift of God (and everything is God’s gift)
• Responsibility – we cultivate the gifts of God with responsibility.
• Generosity we share these gifts with others and share them generously.
• Return— we return the gifts with increase to God.
We have had our Archdiocesan Synod with the theme of “Go, you are
sent”. The opportunity to participate in the Synod process in the months
preceding the Synod weekend was taken up by hundreds, if not thousands
of people. The prayerful engagement in the Synod process led to a weekend
of listening and dialogue, which in turn led to 96 proposals being presented
to me. This has already given a new sense of purpose – Mission –
to the diocese and the desire to go to the peripheries, to accompany and
support those who are struggling in life.
Pope Francis prayer for our Synod was that “the Synod will encourage all
the faithful to face the opportunities and challenges of the present moment
through a renewed encounter with Christ and the saving message of the
Gospel.” I believe his prayer for us continues as we prepare for the Christmas
season “when the kindness and love of God our Saviours for humankind
were revealed …..” (Titus 3 4-7).
This has been a very busy year, a very full year, and it is all because of
“the kindness and love of God” gifted to us in the birth of Jesus.
This Christmas my prayer for all who read this newsletter is that,
• we all receive Jesus, the Gift of God, with gratitude in our lives;
• we look for ways to use with responsibility the gift of Jesus in our
• we share Jesus generously with others, share his love, share his words,
share his presence;
• we realise that all is gift, and in return all gifts to God in love.
I pray too that as we prepare for Christmas we will all live it in such a way
that it is a renewed encounter with Christ and with the saving message of
With prayers and sincere thanks to you all for your wonderful support
throughout this year.
Every blessing and Happy Christmas