Dear Cathedral Parishioners,
Please refer to the attached letter from Cardinal John Dew concerning the COVID-19 situation and the decision to suspend all public Masses until further notice.
On Friday afternoon Lay Pastoral Leader Debbie Matheson, Parish Administrator Frank Doherty and I discussed how best to respond to this challenging and rapidly changing situation. During this difficult time we are committed to keeping in touch with parishioners and continuing to provide pastoral and spiritual care.
Cardinal John’s instructions have implications for our community and our liturgical and pastoral activities. We therefore regrettably have to advise that in addition to all public Masses having to cease until further notice, the following activities in the Parish have had to be cancelled:
- Stations of the Cross on 20 March & 3 April
- Rite II Reconciliation on 22 March at St Teresa’s Church
- Joint Cathedrals Lenten Programme
- Laudato Si Lenten Series at St Thomas More Church
- Autumn Picnic with Wellington Refugees on 29 March
We also wish to advise that:
- The Cathedral Chapel will remain open daily for private prayer between 10.00am and 3.00pm
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation will be available on weekdays at midday and Saturdays at 9am
- The Parish Office will remain open on weekdays from 10am to 3pm
- The Pastoral Team continues to be available and contactable in the usual ways
- The Parish website (www.mcshwellington.org) has helpful links and resources, which will be added to in the coming days and weeks
Another special communication will be sent early next week. In the meantime please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any matters that you wish to raise.
Please take care and be assured of our prayers and good wishes.
Fr David Dowling